Home News Three shot as Stawisha forum erupts after ‘One-Term Governor’ chants

Three shot as Stawisha forum erupts after ‘One-Term Governor’ chants

12
0
[Rights defenderd Francis Auma (centre) and Wallid Sketty (left) support one of the injured (on a wheelchair). Atleast three people were on Friday injured during a Stawisha sensitisation forum in Changamwe, Mombasa. Photo/Ahmed Omar/August 21, 2026].

MOMBASA, Kenya — At least three youths were shot and injured after a forum meant to sensitise Mombasa residents on the Stawisha revolving fund turned chaotic at Bomu Stadium in Changamwe.

The injured youths were rushed to Mikindani Hospital for treatment, with one of them, identified as Summy Owino, later transferred to Coast General Hospital for further medical attention, according to human rights defender Francis Auma.

Mombasa County Police Commander Stella Cherono confirmed that three people were receiving medical treatment following the incident and that three vehicles were destroyed during the ensuing fracas.

Cherono said police had launched investigations to establish what triggered the chaos.

“We have launched our investigation on what triggered the chaos though we understand that when the Governor started addressing the participants, a group of youth started chanting ‘one-term governor’, which we suspected turned the meeting into a political shouting match between different political supporters,” she said.

The forum was attended by Mombasa Governor Abdulswamad Sharif Nassir, who had gone to address residents on the Stawisha revolving fund.

The situation reportedly deteriorated after Nassir stood up to address the gathering and a section of youths began chanting “one-term governor”.

Witnesses alleged that members of the Governor’s security detail responded by drawing firearms, with one youth reportedly being shot three times. Two other youths also sustained gunshot wounds.

Police have not publicly attributed responsibility for the shooting, saying investigations are underway to establish what triggered the confrontation and the circumstances surrounding the gunfire.

Auma, in a statement issued on Friday, said human rights defenders were alarmed by reports that three youths had been shot during the gathering and alleged that the shooting was carried out by bodyguards attached to the Governor.

“We condemn any use of excessive force and firearms against civilians. Public gatherings and political activity must not result in bloodshed,” Auma said.

Auma called on the Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) to immediately investigate the incident and establish who fired the shots.

He also urged the National Police Service to secure evidence and protect witnesses, while calling on the Mombasa County Government to cater for the medical bills of the injured and ensure accountability.

“We stand with the victims and their families and demand justice,” Auma said.

Three vehicles were destroyed during the confrontation, according to police, as the meeting descended into chaos.

The incident has raised fresh concerns over the use of firearms and force during public and political gatherings, with human rights defenders calling for an independent investigation to establish what happened and who was responsible.

Police said their investigations were ongoing.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here