Home News Ruto announces more fuel relief as matatu strike is called off

Ruto announces more fuel relief as matatu strike is called off

14
0
[President William Ruto at Statehouse, Mombasa. Photo/PCU/May, 22, 2026].

MOMBASA, Kenya — William Ruto has announced a further Sh10 reduction in diesel prices in the upcoming June–July fuel review cycle following talks with transport sector stakeholders in Mombasa.

Speaking at State House Mombasa on Friday after meeting matatu operators and logistics players, the President said the government was stepping in to cushion Kenyans from rising fuel costs linked to instability in the Middle East and disruptions along the Strait of Hormuz.

Ruto said the government had already spent Sh13.74 billion through the Petroleum Development Fund over the last two pricing cycles and reduced VAT on petroleum products from 16 per cent to 8 per cent to stabilise pump prices.

According to the President, the interventions lowered diesel prices by Sh40.25 per litre in the April–May cycle and by another Sh44.89 per litre in the current May–June cycle.

Without the subsidies and tax relief measures, diesel would currently retail at Sh277.75 per litre instead of the present Sh232.86, he said.

The President also defended the government-to-government fuel import arrangement, saying it had helped guarantee uninterrupted fuel supply and protect the Kenyan shilling from further pressure.

“There are those trying to turn this global crisis into politics,” Ruto said, while dismissing calls for the complete removal of fuel taxes and levies.

Meanwhile, leaders from the Matatu Owners Association officially called off the nationwide matatu strike that had paralysed transport operations in several towns.

The association apologised for the disruptions witnessed during the industrial action, saying criminals and political actors had infiltrated the demonstrations leading to vandalism and destruction of vehicles and schools.

“We want peace in this country and we want to be united so that we can move forward,” said Matatu Owners Association President, Albert Karakacha.

The meeting also resolved several issues affecting PSV operators, including discussions on temporary bank loan relief measures and regulation of minimum fares for digital taxi platforms.

However, Many Kenyans have reacted angrily online after matatu operators called off the nationwide strike following a meeting with William Ruto in Mombasa, accusing PSV leaders of abandoning ordinary wananchi struggling with the high cost of fuel and living expenses.

Critics on social media claimed the transport sector leadership had softened its stance too quickly after government promises of future fuel reductions and policy reviews, arguing that commuters and small operators were still bearing the burden of soaring prices.

Others, however, defended the decision to end the strike, saying continued demonstrations were hurting businesses, disrupting transport services and exposing the country to violence and destruction caused by infiltrators during the protests.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here