Home News Ruto corners matatu operators-ends nationwide strike

Ruto corners matatu operators-ends nationwide strike

11
0
[Matatu Owners Association (MOA), President Albert Karakacha addressing the press alongside President William Ruto at Statehouse Mombasa on Friday. The operators have called of the suspended nationwide fuel prices strike. Photo/PCU/May, 22, 2026].

MOMBASA, Kenya—The Federation of Public Transport Sector (FPTS), including the Matatu Owners Association, has called off the nationwide fuel strike following a high-level meeting with President William Ruto at State House, Mombasa.

The operators announced the decision on Friday shortly after closed-door talks, saying government had agreed to address key grievances affecting the sector, including insurance claims, auctioneering practices, and rising fuel-related costs.

Matatu Owners Association of Kenya President Albert Karakacha said the decision followed successful engagements aimed at restoring normal transport operations.

“We want peace in this country and we want to be united so that we can move forward,” Karakacha said.

He confirmed the strike had been fully called off.

The action had disrupted transport in several towns, leaving thousands of commuters stranded as matatus and buses stayed off the roads, forcing many to walk long distances.

Transport leaders who attended the meeting apologised to Kenyans, distancing themselves from incidents of violence and vandalism reported during the protests.

We would like to apologise to the country for the time we went on strike,” a MOA representative said. “We realised goons infiltrated, and political interests may have come in. That was not us.”

The operators said they opted for dialogue after concluding the protests had been infiltrated by criminal elements that led to destruction of property and disruption of business.

They welcomed government commitments to review insurance and auctioneering laws, saying many operators had suffered losses through repossessions and unresolved claims.

Further talks are expected with the Ministry of Transport on remaining issues, including weighbridge operations, PSV regulations, and concerns over 14-seater matatus in major cities.

President Ruto, on his part, promised a further Sh10 reduction in diesel prices in the June–July pricing cycle, saying the government remains committed to cushioning Kenyans from global fuel shocks.

He defended fuel subsidy and stabilisation measures, saying billions had already been spent to shield consumers from rising global oil prices driven by geopolitical tensions.

The President also announced ongoing reforms, including discussions with banks on loan relief for transport operators, review of the Insurance and Auctioneers Acts, and regulation of minimum fares for digital taxi operators.

He further directed the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) to allow continued use of graffiti and artwork on public service vehicles under regulated guidelines.

The government maintained there is no fuel shortage in the country, urging Kenyans to remain calm as efforts continue to stabilise prices.

The decision to call off the strike comes amid widespread public anger over transport disruptions and rising cost-of-living pressures.

Many commuters accused operators of holding the public hostage, saying the strike left workers stranded and disrupted schools and businesses.

Others, however, defended the operators, citing high fuel prices, insurance costs, and vehicle repossessions as major pressures facing the sector.

The debate has reignited calls for long-term reforms in Kenya’s public transport system, which remains heavily dependent on informal operators.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here