
MOMBASA, Kenya—The National Police Service has insisted that the security situation across the Coast region remains calm and under control despite widespread transport paralysis and sporadic confrontations linked to the nationwide matatu strike over rising fuel prices.
In a statement issued Monday, Coast Regional Police Commander Ali Nuno said police had successfully contained isolated attempts to block roads in Voi, Mtwapa and Shanzu during demonstrations linked to the fuel price protests.
According to Nuno, three suspects were arrested following the Voi incident as security officers moved swiftly to disperse the groups involved.
“The situation across the Coast Region remains calm and under control,” said Nuno in the statement released amid mounting tension across the six coastal counties.
The police commander further stated that no cases of destruction of property or major public disorder had been reported despite the nationwide shutdown that crippled transport operations across Mombasa, Kilifi, Kwale, Lamu, Taita Taveta and Tana River.
He maintained that business operations were continuing normally across major towns and markets and that traffic was flowing freely along key highways including the Mombasa–Nairobi highway, Mombasa–Malindi road, Lunga Lunga highway and Taveta route.
However, the police statement contrasted sharply with the situation witnessed in several parts of Mombasa and other coastal towns where roads remained largely deserted for the better part of the day after matatu operators enforced a total shutdown.
In Mombasa CBD, public transport remained absent throughout Monday as thousands of commuters, workers and students were forced to walk long distances following the strike that began Sunday midnight.
Tension was also reported along the Bombolulu–Lights–Nyali Bridge route where some matatu drivers attempting to resume operations were allegedly warned to remove their vehicles from the roads or risk having them burnt.
In Changamwe, anti-riot police officers were forced to intervene after a group of youths briefly blocked the airport road at the Changamwe Roundabout leading to the Moi International Airport.
Nuno commended residents, boda boda and tuk tuk operators, business owners and community leaders for cooperating with security agencies and helping maintain calm during the demonstrations.
While reaffirming that Article 37 of the Constitution guarantees the right to peaceful demonstrations, the regional police boss warned that authorities would firmly deal with any acts of violence, intimidation or destruction of property.
“Any form of violence, intimidation or destruction of property will not be tolerated and will be dealt with firmly within the law,” he warned.
Security agencies, he said, remain on heightened alert and are continuing to monitor the situation closely in collaboration with county governments and community leaders as the nationwide strike piles pressure on the government to address concerns raised by transport operators over fuel prices and taxation.


























